Wednesday, May 27, 2009

On The Proper Use of Leverage

"Give me but one firm spot of land on which to stand, and I will move the world." - Archimedes

So says the man that was the first to discover the properties of buoyancy, to give practical uses for mirrors and levers, to calculate the volume of a sphere. Archimedes was hailed as the one of the greatest polymaths ever to live by taking theory from the abstracted mind, and giving it a practical use. Archimedes stood on the library and museum at Alexandria, and from there he changed the world.

I have Lancaster. And I will have UC Davis. Certainly they are no match for the birth place of modern thought and reason, but maybe - just maybe - they're firm enough that I can change the world too. 

Archimedes changed the world with a lever and fulcrum, what will you change the world with?

(I blame illness on this post. I have been reading "The Rise and Fall of Alexandria" while I've been bedridden...blasted philosophers.)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I am pretty certain my personality will change the world that, or my ability to be good at Chemistry. But, I can guarantee it will be my empathy that changes the world. Thus far I have managed to affect 16 other peoples' lives, not the entire world, but a good start I'd think.

I don't think it takes much to change the world, some people just wind up doing more for others, some may save lives others may invent mathematical principles, both lead tot eh same end result, an increase in the humanities well being. If you take a utilitarian stance on this though, some things do more for the world than another as saving lives directly will do more things instantaneously, while the mathematical principle may take several decades to have any real use.

I am fine with the more direct approach, however, I'd rather have a principle named after me, since it'll carry more weight in the future. And I would like to be remembered in the future after I am worm chow. That's why I am donating my organs, I'll carry on for decades to come.

btw, my word verification was mumblo.

:D